Monday, January 13, 2014

Triumphing Mercy

I'm back from  a long hiatus. My computer died on me. It was quite unexpected and very tragic. One night without warning; it made a loud sigh and it's whole system shut down. I cried, beg it not to leave me-take me with you. I beat on it, blow my breath into it, all to no avail. My friend in Michigan sent me his slightly used laptop. I was able to get online, but the keypad skipped with made it difficult to type. For two months my beautiful purple baby sit collecting dust on top of my dresser. I dusted off today and prayed "please Lord help me fix it." I went off the grid for awhile, but I felt like writing today. So I hit f11 until I got a screen asking if I wanted to restore to factory-which I heard will fix most problems. She came back to life. and so have I.

A few days ago my sister asked on Facebook, "What your word of the year." I never had a word of the year so I asked Abba for a word. He told me the word for the year for all of his people is Mercy. That this is a year that we should be crying out for mercy. I thought the word over in my head-mercy, huh. What a strange word for a society of cheap grace, seeker friendly, name it claim it churches. Do we even consider the fact that we need mercy? Not only do we need it,we need to give it. In the book of James, James is teaching the new disciples against preferring the rich over the poor. He says we must show mercy in order to be judged by God with mercy. I love what he says next-

James 2:13

English Standard Version (ESV)
13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

That's right Mercy triumphs judgment. I don't know why Abba gave me that word, I do know we can all use His mercy. I have known a couple Christians that because of their good works and hidden self-righteousness, say that they really don't need mercy. I know from personally experience we can get so caught up in the good we do that we forget how awful and sinful we really are. I watched as both of them fell (big ugly scandalous falls). I knew it was the mercy of God they weren't consumed when they fell. It was also His mercy that picked them up when they couldn't do it for themselves, Mercy really doe triumph over judgment.


1 comment: