Monday, December 27, 2010

Counting the cost










Luke 14:28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, doth not first sit down and count the cost, whether he have wherewith to complete it? ASV

Jesus compared picking up our cross and following him with building a tower. I started my journey simply wanting him to break the chains of bondage that clung so desperately to me. Our relationship was built on what he could do for me. What he did for me. I marveled at his free gift; held it in my heart until it became part of me. His love healed me, his words comforted me, his spirit delivered me and his life saved me. He paid the ultimate price. He counted up the cost.

I couldn't help but notice he said sit down and count the cost. Usually when someone tells you to sit down it's because the information they are about to convey will probably devastate you or cause an usual reaction like shock or intense surprise. A couple of weeks ago he told me to sit down and count up the cost. He told me that I would be misunderstood, laughed to scorn, persecuted, lied on, talked about and that the world would not love or receive me. He really didn't paint me a pretty picture. So much for my delusions of grandeur. Needless to say, I took a seat and started counting.

Towers are hard to build because they're tall and strong and you would need a lot of help.First I had to calculate the material I would need. I decided I would build my tower of glass. Mainly because the apostle Paul said we see through a glass darkly. I would have to begin my foundation with rock, that was easy since Jesus is my rock and foundation. Next I would use the strong steel beams of love as the structure again, I have plenty of help in that department. He is love. I'll have walls erected of the bricks of rejection, persecution, self-denial and endurance. The window frames would be made of fiberglass of prayer,fasting, understanding,forgiveness and wisdom. My windows would be the durable reflective glass of the word of my testimony. The inside walls will be drywall of obedience, purity and holiness.

Recently the Lord spoke to me about "His people." He said tell my people I'm coming back soon. He said that we have walked away from the simplicity of the gospel and become lukewarm like the church of Laodicea, that they think they're rich but they're wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked. I said Lord I can't tell them that, we don't say things like that. It's not politically correct they'll say I'm judging and don't have love. He asked me which is worse saying all is well or telling the truth. Which shows the most love. Then he said count up the cost. I counted up the cost. I chose to love at all cost. I prayed and cried for two weeks. I'm willing to die for my brothers and sisters even if they're the ones throwing the stones.








Fearless

1 comment: