Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Strange Television Men

My niece Abby comes home from work and I had laid down to take a nap. She asked me if I knew that some guys were parked in the driveway. I told her no, I had no knowledge. Abby asked me because we have had a reoccurring problem with strangers from the barber shop and bar next door parking in our driveway. Mostly, because we don't have a car(I sold mine before leaving Daytona)and my sister has given permission to a few of them. I started charging them five dollars, mainly to discourage them from wanting to park.

Abby comes back into the house very upset and yells, "Auntie they're selling stuff in our yard." I jump out of the bed with my hair standing on my head and sleep imprints on the side of my face. As I reach the porch and I see several guys with the monitors of flat screens televisions on our lawn. At this point to say that I'm shocked is more than an understatement. My niece Abby stands behind me with hands on hips and indignant look on her face, waiting on me to put a stop to this unauthorized yard sale.

I do what any self-respecting authority figure would do, I cleared my throat and said the the men, "AHEM, excuse me(always mind your manners). One guy turned around and asked the unthinkable, he asked me if he could HELP ME! Then he asked if I would like to buy something, I went from beyond shocked to extremely perturbed in a matter of seconds. I gritted my teeth and said as calmly as possible, No, I do not want to "BUY," anything I want you out of my yard, than I added in a mincing voice, I have asked you nicely(barely concealed threat that means you have been warned).

They apologize and start packing up their, no doubt in my mind stolen merchandise. One of the guys standing on my grass walks toward me and introduce himself to me. He told me he works next door at the barber shop and informs me that, "She lets us park in the driveway."(she referring to my sister Claudia) I inform him that "She" is not here and "I" Don't want them in our driveway and "I'm" sure "She" did not give permission for the television men to set-up shop in "Her" yard. Then he adds they're selling televisions,( I guess I was suppose to say, "oh why didn't you say that, carry on.") I asked one question, "IN OUR YARD?"

Okay, maybe I'm old fashion or unfamiliar with the ways of Lexington, but where in the world is it alright to park in someones driveway, set-up a stolen television shop in their yard and attempt to sell them the product? I need help processing this! I think the problem is they have watched and know my sister is a single mom since her and her husband split last year. I guess I didn't look like much of a threat neither.

After they left I started thinking, it times like theses that we need a man to guard and protect us. Then Yeshua(Jesus) reminded me that he is our protection. That we are hidden in the shelter of the Almighty. We are safe, even from television salesmen in our yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

♥hehehe : )