Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Vacation

I know I've been gone for awhile. I have been in Florida since the 13TH of December. I'm on vacation! My "vacation" started as nonstop running around for class purpose and for the record I did not graduate. I have two more semesters of full time classes, my credit hours got screwed and I had a couple of incomplete classes (all my fault).

Jill (my sister) and Robbin and Diane (friends) started with a trip to Jacksonville which is 85 miles from Daytona Beach where I have been staying, and where Robbin and Jill live. We were suppose to go to the "Iron Sharpens Iron" conference and than back to Daytona that night. The conference ran over the expected time and we were tired, hungry but spiritually satisfied. No one really felt like driving back to Daytona so we decided to stay the night in Jacksonville. We are hotel and resort queens and we take several vacations or getaways each year though we prefer to call them spiritual retreats. We have stayed in some of the best hotels in Florida and have traveled from Tampa to Key West on our excursions. That's the perks of living in Florida, being single and having grown children.  The only problem this time is- we didn't pack a bag or do like we usually do and over-pack. Jill, Robbin and Diane all were scheduled to work the following morning.  Robbin and Diane are Dentist and Jill assist Robbin (and Diane when she works at Robbin practice). The conference is to continue the following day and none of really wanted to miss it.We have witness God do miraculous things in the Iron Sharpens Iron conference over the years. Robbin cancelled all her appointment for that next day therefore freeing herself, Jill and Diane.

All we have to wear are the clothes on our backs. We all wore blue jeans with matching jackets and different colored   blouses that matched our boots. Or outfits were coincidental and not some pathetic attempt to recapture our lost childhood by dressing alike(and no we're not to old for blue jean suits). We went to Walmart in the middle of the night and purchase underwear, tooth brushes, new matching blouses, night shirts, rollers and night caps. Making the decision to stay in Jacksonville did something for us that night. It made us feel more adventurous and less reserved. Suddenly life was not mundane and planned. We were no longer frightened and ordinary but free and courageous.

It's been eight months since I moved from Florida. I missed my friends and sisters in the Lord. I missed the spiritual connection, the long talks about Jesus and the way we each worship in our own broken imperfection. Since I've been back in Florida I have paid more attention to my friends and sisters in the Lord, and my biological sister Jill. It's almost like my time away made them more precious to me. I found myself really looking at them. Diane made a statement about the women she employs not knowing her and treating her as if she barely exist. I looked over at her and thought about the sensitive, kind soft-spoken women I have come to know as my friend. She has shared her pain and we have learned how to be transparent with each other. I find it hard to believe anyone could come into the present of this women of God, and miss the calm grace that only comes with brokenness. I saw the hurt and confusion in her eyes as she whispered this to me. I could see her vulnerability and distress. I watched as she lifted her hands in praise to the God that accepts her. I see the deep hunger in her to know God better; to go deeper so that she can rise above all the hurt and rejection.

Robbin has a rough exterior and a soft heart. We have had more then our share of disagreements. At first glance you would see her as controlling and bossy. She really not controlling or bossy, she just has a need to make everything pleasant and secure for those around her. She's spiritually perceptive and she's blunt and outspoken, but she always has your best interest at heart. Once you get over the initial deliverance of her message you usually come to see the wisdom in her words. She's thoughtful, generous and funny. It's always a treat to look at the world through Robbin's eyes. She mostly sees the best in people and things. She can make the most mediocre subject interesting and exciting. Her easy excitability is contagious and you'll find yourself sweep-up in her euphoria. I watch as she raises her hand to worship, even her worship is filled with excitement. Her worship is pure and untainted even when she quietly raises her heart with her eyes closes you know Abba has her whole heart.

Jill has never been a quiet person, I watch as she amen the word of God with the enthusiasm only Jill could get away with. Jill is quirky and funny and she makes up words and sayings that spread among her peers. She  original and different from anyone you will ever meet.  For instance in order not to say anything negative about anyone or her state of mind she makes up phrases; instead saying someone is annoying her or "getting on her nerves." she'll say they're "burning her fat." Jill's funny and extremely sensitive though she sometimes hide it. I watched as she worshiped Abba in her loud happy way. Periodically she would look at me. I know that look she has given it to me for years. She is asking me if she's okay, is it alright to express herself the way she did. She has always looked to me for confirmation. And  I, like the big sister I have always been to her; give her the you're okay look. She so soft and vulnerable. We all are.

I chatter on and on sometimes and will repeat myself. My stories are sometimes long and slow, but with each other we have found acceptance, love and friendship. Our mutual bond is our love for Jesus and our need to belong and our genuine like of each others company. I realize how much I have missed them. I'm so glad to be with them again if it's only for a moment. I'm glad that I have found a spiritual connection with such awesome women of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)♥