Saturday, March 17, 2012

Killing of Trayvon

These are my thoughts though I have limited knowledge of all facts:

I heard about the Trayvon Martin killing a week or two ago. My sister Karen was watching the news and I was in my bedroom writing. I asked Karen what upset her so that she would scream out, "Oh no, he killed their baby." I said who? She said a man in Florida. I didn't go investigate her claims, I just sort of stayed in my room absorbed in what I was doing.

A couple of days later I was watching the news and the story replayed itself. I wondered how anyone could become a self-imposed cop and kill another without any repercussion. Somewhere in my psyche, I had this emotional block. Today I listen to the 911 tapes. In the back ground you could ear the kid screaming and begging for help. That open the flood gates of my soul. I cried for hours. I cried for his parents who listened to the tapes, and have been inconsolable every since. It's being said that the hollering may have come from the self-proclaimed neighborhood watchmen who killed the boy. I doubt that. I, as a parent know my son's voice. I know when his voice when annoyed, worried, scared, or even petrified, that comes with the territory of being a parent. I'm sure they knew their son's voice when they heard it. I remember why I blocked my emotions.

When I was thirteen years old I had a cousin who was also thirteen. It's something about having cousins your exact age, that will breed something special. It might be the understanding or knowing the mind and heart of another your age. Even though he was a boy I loved him dearly. He was killed by police in Boston when we were only thirteen. He was five feet tall with a slight built. His murder was classified as a mistaken identity. He was vindicated from any wrong doing. That din't stop the pain or the amount of grieve my family suffered. The police was never charged or reprimanded in the case. I remember feeling that we're only kids, why would someone harm him? How do you justify murdering a child? And why is the fact that they're black make it controversial, or the fault of the victim? Do people not realize that we loved our children just like white people  love theirs?

I watched in horror when I went with  my Aunt Saundra to identify her youngest son in a hospital following an accident that claimed his life( a different cousin).  As soon as she saw him her knees bucked and she lost her balanced as the grieve absorbed her. That night I think she may have cried a million tears.  I thought I would faint from the pain, not only my own, but my aunt's as well. I don't think anyone can comprehend a mother's grieve at the lose of her child,  no matter what the color of the child's skin.

I heard Trayvon's screams for help on the 911 tapes, they were the terrified screams of a child. Many witness have come forward and told that the kid was asking for help. The self-proclaimed neighborhood watchmen called the police and said it was a suspicious looking guy walking the neighborhood(black male in a hoodie). Trayvon had went to the store at half-time of the all star games to buy his little brother candy. He was armed with a bag of skittles and a can of iced tea. By all accounts the watchmen George Zimmerman pursued the kid and overtook him, though he said he killed him in self-defense. I am so sad for the parents. Trayvon died a hundred feet from where he was staying. His young blood soaking the earth. Probably crying out to God like Abel's. I know God hates innocent blood shed. I pray for the family of Trayvon,that God grant them peace and forgiveness in this difficult time. I pray that Trayvon is vindicated and the truth comes out and that Mr Zimmerman has his day in court, and that his soul be saved.

The day my mother told me about my cousin(in Boston) I was eating Now and Later candy. As I cried the Now and later candy mixed with tears did not make my sorrow sweet, it made the taste of the candy bitter. I have not eaten Now and Later candy since that day. I wonder if the taste of skittles will do the same for Trayvon's little brother. Will has mother ever enjoy the brisk cold taste of ice tea? The police refuse to arrest Mr. Zimmerman, and he has went into hiding after numerous death threats. I just want justice for Trayvon. It's sad that in almost forty years justice is still blinded by color instead of being colorblind.

My heart hurt so bad today...

Fearless

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad and angry over this one.

Anonymous said...

This one is clear, there is no "Maybe the boy was doing something" he was not doing anything except going home and he was stalked and hunted down and killed like prey. And in my opinion because he was young, alone and black.

Anonymous said...

And while law enforcement analysts tell ABC News that Zimmerman sounded intoxicated in his call to police that night, police never gave him a toxicology test, which is standard in most homicide cases. Police also did not check Zimmerman's vehicle or impound it. The FBI has said it is now examining the 911 tapes, which include a possible racial slur believed to be muttered by Zimmerman, a neighborhood crime watch volunteer who pursued Martin, confronted him and after a scuffle shot him dead. The Martin family also criticized the Sanford police department for failing to identify their son more quickly. Martin's body was left in the morgue for three days, classified as a "John Doe." The family charges that officers didn't bother to ask neighbors if they recognized Martin, who had been staying with his father in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

This happened in America. I am shot and killed in a residential neighborhood. My cell phone is on my person, and I am found to have been carrying only a bag of candy and a drink. 911 calls from neighbors record my screams for help, in the moments before my death. No one uses my cell phone to locate my family. No one canvass the neighborhood to see if someone there knows me. I am a John Doe in the morgue for three days. But, my body is tested for drugs and alcohol. My killer is not tested for anything. My killer is questioned and released, and he is still free today. I am Trayvon Martin, and We are better than this.

Fearless said...

I think most everyone is sad and angry over this incident. Though it was a racially motivated, a child was murdered. So many times this kind of injustice goes unnoticed, but thanks to the social media we can truly say...the world is watching. With the Casey Anthony, Afghanistan and not to mention abortions..America must look to the rest of the world as baby killers. God have mercy on us.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you care, this is so you can see what this is turning into. It was really sad: http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin

Anonymous said...

Look at the comments. People point blame and try to up each other on who commits more crimes against the other while nothing changes.

Fearless said...

I find those comments on that site very disturbing. One day all shall come to the realization, race-based hate is just wrong..I don't care what race you belong to. I am deeply saddened.

Anonymous said...

This story has turned so ugly and nasty. I'm going to stop following it before I lose my mind. Sites using false pictures that he stole the candy and soda and this kind of stuff. This could make me hate.Sorry if it upsets you and feel free to delete if needed.http://uglyamerica.wordpress.com/2009/09/28/why-i-hate-black-people-since-the-1st-black-on-white-rape-in-the-bible-when-the-serpent-raped-adam-eve-the-black-mans-only-goal-has-been-to-terrorize-us-i-dont-hate-black-people-i-hate-e/

Anonymous said...

:)♥

Zimmerman may have been defending himself. Trayvon is not the sweet innocent kid in the dated pictures that were first released by his parents. This story in the media has become a circus. Full of race baiters and pimps. Tatally disgraceful.