Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sober and Vigilant


1 Peter 5:8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walk about, seeking whom he may devour:

Okay, I've been in the apartment for two weeks today. Two weeks without a clue as to how I would eat from day to day. I love these times in my life, the days I have to actually exercise faith to eat. But I'm going to have to be honest, I threw a couple of pity parties. No one showed up to celebrate with me. I was alone. I decided to walk around the building with the long face. I ran into my next door neighbor as I was walking. He's a really nice guy and the youngest person in the building. He's a couple of years younger than I. He's funny, kind and reminds me of my brothers. We met and became fast friends. He asked me what was wrong. I gave him my pity party song( I don't have any money or furniture, I'm poor and no one loves me, God probably hates me too) He looked at me and said "Woe it's me! Suck it up! I don't feel sorry for you, learn how to crawl before you walk, you have a roof over your head, you don't live on the streets."

He went on to read me the riot act, when he got through with me all I could say is, "You are not invited to MY pity party, since you have no sympathy for my plight in life! I walked away laughing. Sometimes it takes words that feel like a cold slap in the face to wake you up, from an attack on your mind, when you listen to the voice of fear instead of faith.

I thank my Heavenly Father that he places people in my life to that will tell me to snap out of despondency and despair, because it is not of our Father. The enemy of our soul is the master of deception and the father of lies and he wants to devour our faith and leave us feeling hopeless and alone. I called one of my intercessor friends and she gave me the faith talk. She told me to get my focus off of my circumstances and myself and be sober and vigilant. Sometimes we need the faith talk, I don't care how spiritually mature you think you are. We need each other. I for one am glad I have friends that will challenge my mindset and tell me the truth. I looked up the words sober and vigilant. To be sober nēphō in Greek
 (1) to be sober, to be calm and collected in spirit.
2) to be temperate, dispassionate, circumspect. 
To be vigilant is grēgoreuō
 (1) to watch
2) metaphorically give strict attention to, be cautious, active
2a) to take heed lest through remission and indolence some destructive calamity suddenly overtake one.

It's hard to be sober and vigilant when you are focused on your flesh and or your circumstances. It's really kind of silly my Abba has never left me or forsaken me. I wasn't even forsaken then. One of my dear neighbors said they used to give food from some of the grocery stores sometimes, but it's been a while since that happened. Twice in the first week  my favorite market Trader Joe's gave us food. Organic vegetables, sweet potatoes, avocados, and green and salad mixes. All the things I wanted to fast. Why it didn't dawn on me that my desires were being filled even as I cried like a spoiled baby, I don't know. I guess my mind got clouded. I know it wasn't by mistake the things I desired were given in the building. I know my Abba takes care of me. Now I just say a silent thank you Father. These are the times in my life he teaching me to be a women of great faith.

Fearless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be just fine :)

Anonymous said...

This is very intriguing, You are a quite skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to looking for far more of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared your internet web site in my social networks!

Anonymous said...

These are impressive articles. Keep up the sunny handiwork.

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are getting thoughts from this piece of writing as well as
from our argument made at this time.

my web blog: spiele online kostenlos ohne anmeldung