Friday, January 28, 2011

The Ladies at the laundry mat

I finally made it to the laundry mat yesterday. I had three huge hampers full. I think laundry is my least favorite thing to do other then dishes or cooking. Lets just say I'm not the most domesticated women alive. I'll do it eventually but not with pearls and a smile like Donna Reed. I'm more like the one with the frown and mustard stain sweats. I live alone so it's permitted if not required.

At the laundry there were two women that captured my attention mostly because they smiled and spoke to me. One, a young woman with a baby that looked to be in her early twenties, the other, an elderly women that looked to be in her seventies. The baby looked to be about seven months old. The young women fed or attempted to feed the baby in between loads. The baby was more interested in smiling at and watching me. Since I was behind them it was difficult for her mom to feed her with her head turned around. I made some nonchalant statement about the baby, the mom smiled and said she was very curious baby. What really captured my attention is the patient way in which the young mom dealt with her duties. Even though I could see the how much of a struggle she was having the kindness never left her continence. She was my hero. I was once a young single mother and unlike her, I was the epitome of shrew. She seemed to do everything with such love and kindness. She put the baby in the basket with an Elmo doll that keep saying he was ready to go home. I was amazed at the way between folding she would tenderly touch her baby.

The older woman came in and sit beside me and started talking. She told me she had a washer and dryer at home but was having some plumbing problems. She explained that if she uses her washer her kitchen sink will flood, but she paid 140 dollars for plumber then another 350 dollars to have her backyard drained. I asked why didn't it worked after all that work..she said, "That was the bathroom and it didn't have anything to do with the kitchen plumbing!" I gave her my best I'm not confused by this conversation look and said, "Oh." She told me to remember that lesson so that if I ever have any plumbing problems I would know. I said "Okaaay." She went on to tell me about her trip up north and getting stuck in an airport, the name and ages of her children, grand children and even an eighteen year old great grand. Meanwhile the young woman had her baby in one basket and was filling another with clothes from the dryer. The baby started getting curious so I decided to watch her, she started to stand up and was reaching for something on a seat next to the basket. I was intently watching the baby so that I could catch her if she started to fall. The elderly woman noticed I had stop listening to her and was watching the baby. So she said in a loud voice, "She's not watching her baby?" I said equally as loud, "it's hard when you have a small baby", mainly to let the young mother know I was not being critical. She looked at us and I smiled at her letting her know I'm on your side.

The young woman turned to look then she grab her baby and held her in her arms as she continued. I walked up to her and asked if I could help her. She was hesitant but smiled and said, "yes." and I did help her, me the one that hated laundry. I helped her because loved required that we lend a hand when we see a need. It's something about love that spreads like a wildfires. In the midst of my helping I turn and see the older woman holding the baby as the young woman and I put her laundry in the car. My grandmother used to say that whatever virtue or non-virtue you feed would be the strongest. I chose to feed love and not criticism. I do however thank the older woman for saying what she said, it gave me the courage to look beyond my own self-centered thoughts and do what needed to be done.

Fearless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥