Friday, July 26, 2013

My Wonderful Friends

Proverbs 17:17

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
17 A friend loves you all the time, but a brother was born to help in times of trouble.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but, I sometimes wake with the Lord teaching me. Some of the lessons are long, some others short. I sometimes write what He says, but most time I'm still half sleep. I once told Him that He should wait until I'm fully awake, because I probably won't remember what He said. He told me it would come back when I needed it. Well, yesterday He was teaching me about love and friendship.

I have many friends. Friends from all walks of life. I have friends that are rich, friends that are poor, friends that are educated and uneducated. I have artsy friends and writer friends. I have friends that have disabilities and friends that help the disabled. Friends that are doctors, nurses and teachers. I have friends that are lawyers and factory worker. I have friend that use a whole lot of words to say very little. I have friends that say a whole lot with very little words. Each of my friends are different than me. The Lord told me that most people stick to friends that they have a lot in common with. He said people like to be around what is familiar to them. Most don't want to be stretched. It's easy to love those that are like-minded. Each of my friends are unique and wonderful.

However, it takes something of you to love those that are different. It takes kindness and patience to deal with those whom you don't normally associate. I once read that everything you do or learn in life is for the will and purpose of God. There are no coincidences in life. Last year while dealing with my nephew Kamau after his brain injury I went on the internet to learn words in sign language. I did it because Kamau was persistent. If he wanted something he would ask for it relentlessly. He refused to take no for an answer. Because what he asked for was NEVER conducive to his recovery. I would stick to what I said, which was mostly NO! although he would keep asking. So I decided one day to learn sign language, because I told Kamau I thought he must have problems with his hearing. I started with the word no, but I thought it was pretty funny so I would learn new words everyday. Kamau would laugh and learn sign with me. It was mostly a joke between us.

Recently a guy that lost his ability to hear in a school bus accident at age 14 has started coming to the bible study. His speech is slurred and unrecognizable. He can read lips, but he lost his glasses and it's difficult for him to read lips without them. He came to me after the study to communicate. I talked to him in broken sign language. However, I understood him better then anyone else. Those around me looked to me to interpret. What is amazing is I actually could. Somethings he had to repeat, but a lot I knew. All because I one day I wanted to make a point with my nephew. I wish I could say I learned sign for reasons other than the reason I chose. Although, my learning sign may have been for less than noble reasons, it was still God's will for me to learn.

God takes people of all color shape and size and make them family. His family. I never know what new challenges I may face, I do know that I am already equipped for each new challenge. I also know nothing is wasted in the kingdom of God, and there truly are no coincidences, only divine appointments and Abba wanting to stretch our love. I can't imagine living in a silent world or being ostracized because of it. My new friend faces these challenges everyday Yet he's upbeat and optimistic. He showed me how to sign I love God and I have Jesus in my heart. He's been kind and sweet to me. Even though our ability to communicate is limited by my inability to understand. I have found a new friend and brother in Christ. I have watched Him show the love of Christ in his actions and deeds, and truly I feel blessed to have met him.

Fearless


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always used to read paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of web
thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

Feel free to surf to my web page ... struktur putz