Sunday, January 24, 2016

Lost My Friend

Revelation 14:13New King James Version (NKJV)

13 Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.’”
“Yes,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them.”
I lost my friend Evelyn today. I can't believe she's gone. One of the ladies from the ministry called me this morning and told me that Evelyn was rushed to the hospital with back pain. I know she suffers from sciatica. I didn't think much of it. I made a mental note to call her when I had a moment. I had a thought to call her yesterday and didn't.

The apartment manager called me crying a few hours later. She told me Evelyn didn't make it. It took me a minute to focus. She mentioned Evelyn son, and sisters. I thought she just wanted them to know that she was rushed to the hospital. Then she said, "she didn't make it."

I haven't talked much on the phone lately, mostly because I don't have much free time. It's been over a week since I talked to Evelyn and we never go that long without a conversation. I have just been so busy. Usually, before someone leaves me I know it, but this one seriously caught me off guard.

I can't imagine life in Lexington without my friend. We went out to dinner at least twice a month. We shopped together, we prayed together, we talked about Jesus, she introduced me to other ministers in Lexington, we lived in the same building and she was a regular at the bible study. She was a minister, sister and friend.

Every time someone close to me dies I feel this strange void. No one can take their place. Something good ended and life will never be the same. I don't grieve like I use to when I know they died in Christ. I still grieve, I grieve for her only son, I grieve for her sisters and I grieve for me. I can't believe she's gone and I'm so far away. Evelyn, time here is over, she's resting from her labor. I'll see her again on the other side.

 A few days ago one of our neighbors called me to tell me it was a blizzard going on in Lexington, it's unseasonably warm in Michigan. I asked Abba why he chose this day to call Evelyn to rest. I pray for her only son. I have one son and I know how much that only son loves his mama. Our son's use to act just alike. Her son's name is Jaime and my son's name is Jason. They're two weeks a part in age. We called them brother from another mother. We had never met anyone with a son so much like each others son.

I can't imagine what he must be going through right now. I prayed for him and I just went and hugged my son. I'm going to miss my friend, but her son is probably devastated. The tears are flowing freely down my face, I have to go.

Fearless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)